Monday, June 16, 2014

Days Like These

I'll admit yesterday was not one of my greatest days Down Under.  I was feeling pretty bummed Saturday night, and some woman yelled at me Sunday morning for not having Jordan and Pancho on leashes so that certainly didn't improve my demeanor.  Anyway, I was just feeling pretty blue and discouraged (you should see my journal entries).  Just struggling with the reason I'm here in Australia, my lack of contentment, frustration with not being able to get a job, you get the picture.  Well, lucky for me, Mondays are the day I get to skype with my family and I ended up getting a great pep talk from my Dad (I realize that on Father's Day I should be giving him a gift, but as the wonderful father he is, he gave me a gift - encouragement).  It makes me so thankful that I have my family's support - I don't know how people travel without it.  And, as my favorite little Mutt pointed out, Kid President also gives a mean pep talk (but my Dad's was more to the point):
I can't keep sitting around waiting for something to happen.  There's a fine line between leaving an open schedule to allow for spontaneity and waiting around while accomplishing nothing.  So, I spent a few hours this morning writing down some goals for my time in Australia, things I'd like to see before I go home, and working on my next move.  At this point, unless I get a reply to one of the many job postings I've applied for, I'll be heading to Alice Springs and Uluru next.  I found out that they have this cool event in Alice Springs on July 12th called the Camel Cup, so I'm going to stick around and see that while I'm up there.  From there I think I'm heading to Cairns.  Hopefully I can find a job and stick around there for awhile, and if not I'll visit the Great Barrier Reef and move on down the road.  So, those are my next two goals for my time in Australia, well three, if you count finally getting a job.  I applied for a nanny job, that's how desperate I am.  Granted, it really sounds more like a chauffeur job, dropping the kids off at school and taking them to sports practice, but still, it involves kids.  Had the job description sounded more nanny like I'm not sure I'd have attempted.  I know Lesley would give me a good reference, so I figured I might have a shot at the job even though I'm not really a kid person...  Only time will tell I guess.

Psalm 139:1-6 -- O Lord, You have searched me and known me.  You know my sitting down and my rising up; You understand my thought afar off.  You comprehend my path and my lying down, and are acquainted with all my ways.  For there is not a word on my tongue, but behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.  You have hedged me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me.  Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high, I cannot attain it.

No comments:

Post a Comment