Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Working Bee

Despite an unfortunately unrestful night, and it being a Saturday morning, I managed to make it to the church by 8:45am for the "working bee", as they call it.  The church is currently in a Heritage listed building so they're trying to get it sold so they can move to something that is more useful for them and more cost effective.  So the goal for today was to throw away things that they really don't need and wouldn't want to move.  I spent the majority of my morning in the kitchen helping Liz and Kate (from the fitness class & dinner) clean out some kitchen cupboards.
 During our morning tea break I ended up chatting with a woman named Marleen who is originally from Winnipeg, and came over on a working visa as well.  She ended up marrying an Aussie so she's been here for the last 20 years.  It was definitely a great way to meet more people from the church.  Pastor Jeff even joked that I came all the way from PA just to help.  I was the youngest person there by a good 20 years as Brian pointed out; I think he was a bit bummed that more people didn't show up.  It's not a huge church, but from what I gathered it was the same people who always seem to come and help out, and they've been doing it for years.  Brian mentioned in passing that he wished he'd brought a camera to take photos, and since I'm traveling I pretty much always have my camera with me.  Lucky me, he took all the photos so I didn't have to, but I got copies of them all.  I emailed them to him and he said he's going to put them on the screen before the service on Sunday to show people who came to help out.  All in all, it was an enjoyable way to spend a morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment