Tuesday, August 26, 2014

FNQ Farm Tour

Not too much to report for the last two days.  Yesterday and today were my days to work for the hostel, but I wasn’t doing reception work.  They’re trying to attract more customers to the hostel so Agatha (my boss) created a brochure that we’ve been handing out.  The idea is to go to the farm areas near here where backpackers go to work so they can get a 2nd year on their visa.  Finding the packing sheds has been more difficult that you would originally think.  We drive past a field and find a road to take us in towards the farm, but they don’t exactly advertise where the packing sheds are located and it’s a lot of dirt roads and dead ends.  We’ve done more turning around in the last two days than I think I’ve ever done in my whole life.  We have found a few and we’ve also given them out at the working hostels that we find in the towns, so it hasn’t been a complete waste of time.  Plus, yesterday on our way back up to Cairns we detoured through Mission Beach and it was such a beautiful area, the photo below just doesn’t do it justice. 
The weather has been beautiful both days so I just get to sit back and enjoy the scenery.  Agatha is Korean so I’ve also been introduced to a lot of Korean music.  While I can’t understand a word they’re saying I’ve enjoyed most of it anyway.  Alicia is her sister and she’s the one who trained me for the reception position, so it’s been nice to get to know Agatha a bit better as well.  She’s traveled quite a bit herself and has some funny stories from her time working in Canada.  Well, I’m off to volleyball – still trying to baby my right knee and ankle without giving up volleyball entirely.  The church is having a prayer service tomorrow night so that will give me a night off from volleyball….

No comments:

Post a Comment