Sunday, September 21, 2014
A New Adventure?
A few days ago Shoko called to ask me if I would still be in Cairns for Christmas, and if I was still around, would I be willing to teach the day after Christmas. I've been debating for a few weeks now on whether or not I could handle the weather here during the month of December. I really would love to stay because it would be more fun to be somewhere I actually have some friends over my birthday, Christmas, and New Years. If I had an additional job (or more hours at Nova) I would most definitely stay, simply because I'm running out of time to stay in another place long enough to commit to an employer. Besides, I love being able to go to volleyball every night. It occurred to me today that had I started my year in Australia here in Cairns, I might never have left. I've heard stories of people who start their working holiday in Sydney and never leave, and I could definitely have seen myself here during their fall and winter and staying into spring as I'm doing right now. Anyway, what prompted this post was that shortly after I walked into reception to start my shift today, a lovely lady came by to hang up her poster for a 6 week Sailing Adventure from Cairns to Brisbane on a 50ft. yacht. It sounds absolutely amazing and way more fun than the hop-on-hop-off bus down the coast that I was planning on doing. I didn't really want to do the bus thing by myself, just because it didn't sound like that much fun (since I'm by myself), but I didn't know of another cheap way to go about it. The biggest problem is that they leave on October 10th. If they were waiting just 3 or 4 more weeks I'd have probably signed up on the spot. It's not exactly ideal timing, but I'm not sure if I should be passing up such a great opportunity. I'd get to see a lot more places (out of the way places) than I would on the bus portion and it includes all my meals and accommodation so I feel like it has to be cheaper than the bus version anyway. It would end in Brisbane before the beginning of December, so I suppose I could travel down to Tasmania and then from Melbourne to Adelaide and be back in Adelaide for Christmas.... Ugh, more decisions!! Life is full of them, which I guess is a good thing. Sorry guys, this post is basically me talking to myself, but if any of you have any advice or wisdom you'd like to share in relation to this post, please comment!!