Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Nothing too exciting

Well, I've now been away from home for a month...  Not too much going on here, so I've been slacking a bit on the blogging.  I've just been cleaning at Leslie's - still no offers on her house, so we keep trying.  At the moment it looks like I'll be staying here until at least the 23rd.  The boys have school break next Monday until almost the beginning of May when their new school term starts.  Since they'll be on break she said she could use an extra pair of hands (yippee) and when they go away over Easter she said I could watch the house for them.  So, although I have no job yet, I'm still not really having to spend any money on accommodation, and very little on food, so I certainly can't complain.  Since I don't have much new to share with you all, in terms of things I've seen or done, I thought I'd share some of the insightful little oddities I've noticed here.  And by odd, I simply mean different than Western PA.


  • There are no set standards for serving sizes of foods.  I learned this by watching part of some random documentary type show on TV.  It's pretty crazy actually, and I don't know how people diet in this country if you can't even figure out how many calories they've eaten. 
  • While we're on the subject of calories, they don't measure food consumption in calories, but in kilojoules.  
  • In my experience, almost 85% of Adelaidians (I think I just made that word up) say "Hello" to the bus driver upon entering and say "Thank you" as they exit.  They're so polite!
Well, that's the only ones that come to mind - but if I think of any more I'll be sure to share them with you all :)

No comments:

Post a Comment