Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Day 136

I didn’t have anything to do last evening and found out that Monday’s are Beach Volleyball Night on the city’s Active Living schedule.   I wasn’t able to find anyone to go with me, so I decided I’d have to go on my own.  If I didn’t like it I could always leave…  Of course it was lots of fun and a great way to meet people.  The gentleman who does the clinic is actually a California native and starts every class off with the basics so everyone will know how to play.  It was very informal and non-competitive and people of all ages and ethnicities joined in the game.

 While using the internet at the library the other day (an issue in and of itself) I thought I’d check and see if I could get a temporary library card like I’d done while in Adelaide.  I didn’t have anything to read and with plenty of time for sunbathing by the pool or just reading in the evenings I thought it would be perfect.  Unfortunately, I’m not able to get a temporary library card without paying a $37 fee.  Fortunately, there is a bookshelf in the hostel and, while there weren’t that many English titles, I did find one book that did at least seem interesting.  It’s called “Breakthrough Prayer” by Jim Cymbala.  I spent most of my afternoon reading the book and it’s very convicting, as well as informative.  It occurred to me, while reading chapter four, that although I’d been searching for a job and even had many of people back home praying for me to find a job, I had definitely not been investing enough of my own time praying for a job.  The below excerpt from the end of that chapter was especially encouraging:
“Even though it can at times be difficult to discern God’s will, He will teach us how to pray as we humbly wait for guidance.  No matter how confusing the situation may be, we can count on two clear and powerful promises that leave no question about God’s will.  These two promises can give our prayer life a fresh start so that we can begin praying regularly with confidence: ‘If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him (James 1:5).’  ‘My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).’”

I’m looking forward to finishing the book and can’t help but constantly think of my friends from prayer meeting at my home church.  Thanks to my parents always making prayer meeting a priority I’ve been to countless prayer meetings; years of sitting and listening to great prayer warriors, leading by example and praying with conviction and from the heart.  In chapter eight he talked about praying from your heart and I couldn’t help but be reminded of Mrs. deRosset.  I don’t think we shared that many prayer meeting groups while she was at my church, but I can remember her prayers none-the-less.  She always seemed to be in tears by the time her turn to pray was over – you knew she was praying from her heart, you could feel her earnestness.  Jim Cymbala states that, “a complete lack of emotion in prayer is a sign of a spiritual ailment” and it made me stop and think about how often my prayers are dry and bland, just saying what’s expected or praying the bare minimum.  Anyway, that’s what’s been on my mind today and although I’m not finished yet, the book is definitely worth a read.

We sang the below song on my last Sunday in Adelaide and absolutely loved it.  I just finally remembered to look up the lyrics and I’m sure most of you can appreciate why I enjoyed it so much:
One more step along the world I go,
one more step along the world I go;
from the old things to the new
keep me traveling along with you:
Refrain:
And it's from the old I travel to the new;
keep me traveling along with you.
Round the corner of the world I turn,
more and more about the world I learn;
all the new things that I see
you'll be looking at along with me: Refrain
As I travel through the bad and good,
keep me traveling the way I should;
where I see no way to go
you'll be telling me the way, I know: Refrain
Give me courage when the world is rough,
keep me loving though the world is tough;
leap and sing in all I do,
keep me traveling along with you: Refrain
You are older than the world can be,
you are younger than the life in me;
ever old and ever new,
keep me traveling along with you: Refrain
Words: Sydney Carter

No comments:

Post a Comment