Thursday, June 27, 2013

You're A Grand Old Flag (pt 2)

Finally finished...not gonna lie, the hood was hard to paint.  It just doesn't lie flat well enough for you to get your stars ironed on where you want.  Anyway, here's what it looks like prior to washing.  I'm a bit concerned that the colors will all run or that it won't soften, but will stay stiff.  The red sections that were "spray" painted aren't really stiff at all, but the blue where I sponged the paint on is super stiff....



I threw it in the washer by itself for a quick (8 minute) wash cycle with just a bit of soap and crossed my fingers.  It came out of the wash and wasn't stiff and the colors hadn't run!  Success!  So very excited :)
Here's what it looks like after the first wash and dry:

It's not as dark blue, but it still looks great.  I would suggest though, that if you're not going to paint the inside of the hood (still not sure if I will - I don't really have more paint), that you tape off the inside edge of the hood.  If you look closely in on the right side of the photo on the hood I got blue on the inside edge.  Also, here's a downside to sponging on the paint.  As you can see from the photo, there are parts that are darker because you got more paint than on other sections.  For some reason there's also little white spots (almost as if I didn't cover everything, but I know I did!).


Well, there you have it - my "review" of a DIY Flag Sweatshirt.  Good luck!

You can find Part 1 of this craft here

Flag (noun)

a piece of cloth, varying in size, shape, color, and design, usually attached at one edge to a staff or cord, and used as the symbol of a nation, state, or organization, as a means of signaling, etc.; ensign; standard; banner; pennant.

No comments:

Post a Comment