Saturday, January 3, 2015

A New Year

"'Cause I been waiting all my life for a break like this. It's my chance of a lifetime, I just know it is.  I gotta go find these dreams,' was the last thing that I said.  And then I did."
Sitting in reception, the above Rascal Flatts song came on the radio and those lines  struck a cord with me. Something along those lines was what was going through my head this time last year as I prepared to head off into the unknown land down under.  How long would I last?  Would I hate it?  Is this crazy?  I didn't have the answers, but I had so many incredible people supporting me.  I'm amazed when I meet people who are 18 and 19 who are doing the same thing.  I'm not sure I could have done this by myself at 18.  Looking back now, I'm sort of amazed I did it, even at 25!  I never could have imagined all the experiences I've had, all the people I've met. There have been struggles, and even tears, but I feel as if I've learned so much.  I don't have any New Year's Resolutions, but I think a bit of reflection is good sometimes - time to count your blessings and remember the life lessons you've (hopefully) learned.

 In a way I'm kind of excited to see where God takes me in 2015.  I just know He's going to use my time in Australia later in my life.  It may take 5 years before He shows me how and why, like my time teaching English in Japan, but I feel as if this year has opened up so many opportunities for me.  Many of the opportunities have always been there, but I'm not sure I'd have had the courage to attempt them before.  I'm finishing "Do Hard Things" by Brett & Alex Harris and am definitely enjoying it.  It's written for teenagers, but has excellent advice for any age.  I definitely shy away from things that are difficult or hard, but the rewards, I've been learning this past year, are definitely worth it.  When you have people supporting, praying for, and encouraging the difficult things are so much easier.  So here's to 2015 - may your life be full of people encouraging you to chase your dreams and accomplish things in life that are important, no matter how big or small.



No comments:

Post a Comment