Thursday, January 1, 2015

2015 Already?

It's crazy how the time flies, I can hardly believe that it's already 2015!  I've been to volleyball every night and have of course been having lots of fun.  It's strange how now that I'll be leaving soon I feel as if I'm actually getting to know people better.  I went to Barron Gorge with Mark on Tuesday (friend from volleyball) - he'd decided to skip school and was bored; I had nothing better to do so figured I may as well tag along.  He's from the Philippines and has a pretty large extended family here.  One of his cousins has a farm in a nearby town, they grow lychees and farm fish as well (barramundi), so sometimes he helps out there.  When I got back I got a phone call from Jordan saying that he and Max were heading to the lagoon and wanted to know if I wanted to meet them there.  It's crazy hot and humid here so I texted Caterina to see if she wanted to come along as well.  Cat couldn't stay long, but it was a good afternoon and being in the water the whole time kept the temperatures more bearable.

Yesterday, I was getting ready to spend the afternoon sitting by my pool (or maybe in my pool) reading a book when Jordan called again to let me know they were heading to the lagoon.  It was already kind of late in the afternoon (I had to work last night), but I figured I may as well walk down there and hang out with them for a bit.  Max, Jordan, and I just stood around in the water chatting, interrupted on occasion by small children asking Jordan to toss them into the air.  Stefan came as well, but by the time he arrived it was about time for me to leave.  We all got out of the water when e arrived because he didn't get in and he'd brought Oreo's (so it didn't take too much convincing to get us all out of the water).  Stefan had to work at his hostel, but Jordan and Max were planning on watching the fireworks so I told them to save me a seat and I would text them when I got off work and would try to meet them.  I sat talking with them for a bit longer, but then had to hurry back to shower and head to work.

They had changed my shift from working the corporate boxes at the Taipans game to working a buffet dinner at the RSL (Returned and Service's League - sort of like the American Legion).  It was super easy, all we had to do was clear tables - we didn't even have to serve drinks.  Louis was working last night as well, he works as a kitchen hand, so we would talk while I was stacking dirty dishes.  I could hear the 9pm fireworks show and it sounded pretty good, so I figured the midnight ones had to be just as good.  We were done by 9:30pm so I was able to get home, shower, grab some food and walk back to the esplanade.  Rith had said Tuesday night that he might be free (if the restaurant wasn't busy), so I stopped by on my way to meet Jordan and Max to see if he wanted to come along.  They didn't need his help and he'd actually gone to volleyball earlier in the night, so he came with me.  Thankfully I didn't have too much trouble finding them in the crowd and we had great seats.
The fireworks were really good as well - I think that was the first time in my life I've ever watched fireworks on New Year's Eve.  I was tired by the time it was all over, so I headed home to go to bed.  I'm just glad I didn't have to watch the fireworks by myself.  I still can't quite wrap my head around another year come and gone; especially when the months after I return home are still pretty much empty - I have no idea what I'll be doing.  But it's been a good year, never could have imagined all that has happened during my time in Australia, but I'm glad I came.  Best wishes to you all for a fantastic year ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment