Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Queenstown - Day 5

Today was the first time I actually saw Queenstown in the daylight!  It is not very big, but is quite lovely since it is lake front.  Although it is known as the "Adrenaline Capital" of the country, I'm not into adrenaline sports and my friend Oksu, that I met in Christchurch, was staying here as well so we had decided to meet up for the day.

I had a leisurely morning and enjoyed a walk along the waterfront while waiting for my laundry in the dryer to finish.  I stopped in some souvenir shops as well, but at the end of the day I just don't need any of the things they're selling and none of them grabbed my attention enough to make me want to pay for and carry in my suitcase for the next 4 months.

Around noon Oksu texted to say she was ready.  For such a small town we shouldn't have had so much trouble finding each other, but it turns out Queenstown has a 'thing' about having two locations for a lot of their stores (which neither of us knew).  I said I was outside Ice Bar and eventually went inside to ask what the actual address was and the woman informed me they had two locations (only 2 blocks away from each other).  Anyway, we finally met up and decided to take a walk along the lake.  It was a bit frigid and we could see some clouds rolling in; with rain forecasted for the afternoon we decided to head back towards town to find some lunch.


Oksu had already eaten at Fergburger but was game to try it again.  Unfortunately, the line was crazy long again and I just wasn't convinced it would be that amazing.  Telli had told us about FergBakery which is right next door and claimed they are the absolute best pies in town.  I love a good pie and Oksu was game so we popped over and ordered a Lamb Shank Pie.  Oh my goodness, it was excellent! Probably the best pie I've eaten in this country so far (and in case I didn't mention while blogging about my North Island tour, I had a pie for lunch nearly every day of that tour so I have had my fair share).  We ate our pies on a bench by the lake and soon decided we needed to get out of the wind so we went to a cafe to have a chat.  After finishing our drinks we decided to walk around town for a bit.  As mentioned, it's not a very big town and everyone comes to do crazy things like sky diving, bungy jumping, paragliding, the Shotover Jet, mountain biking, the list goes on and on.  Most of the shops are bars or restaurants so there really wasn't much to look at anyway.  We'd walked past both locations for Patagonia Chocolates and decided a hot chocolate would help warm us up.

They had a great seating area upstairs with a huge window overlooking the lake, so when the rain started we decided to stay put.  The rain eventually let up enough that we decided to venture out and find some dinner.  Oksu wanted Thai food and her Korean guide book suggested a couple places and we eventually decided on the second option.  Everything was very tasty and we eventually parted ways hoping to some day meet again, perhaps in South Korea, or perhaps in the USA.


No comments:

Post a Comment