Monday, February 3, 2014

When Everyone Tells You You're Brave

"You're so brave!"
"When I was your age I'd have never done that!"
"You're the bravest person I know."

No, I'm not.  And while they all might mean well, it's really not what I want to hear from you.  Telling me I'm brave makes me feel like I'm doing something really difficult, or dangerous.  While it's not without its risks, seeing as I'm a single woman traveling alone, it's not even a third world country and they speak English!!  Is my impending move unorthodox, undeard of, or perhaps unusual?  Maybe, but I'm pretty certain it's not brave.  I'll be the first to admit that hearing a bunch of people tell me it's brave starts to make me worry and ask myself things like: "Am I missing something?"  "Is this really more daring then I think it is?"  "Is the job market really terrible in Australia and no one told me?"  Hopefully I'm not being naïve about this move.  All that just to say, those of you who simply tell me it's great and that this is the perfect time in my life to try something like this, you're my favorites.  You make me feel like I made the right decision, like this is something I can do.  That I'm not crazy...  Then again, maybe my definition of bravery just isn't the same as everyone else's definition.





brave (adjective)

1.  possessing or exhibiting courage or courageous endurance.


cour·age (noun)

1.  the quality of mind or spirit that enables a person to face difficulty, danger, pain, etc., without fear; bravery.

No comments:

Post a Comment