Sunday, September 9, 2018

An Island on Sunday

As mentioned previously, the locals still hold fast to their Christian beliefs.  As such, the six churches built around the island by the London Missionary Society in the late 1800’s are still used today and are frequented by locals and visitors alike.  Most visitors come to hear the beautiful sound of the Maori hymns and songs sung a capella by the congregations.

Surrounded by their voices, the sounds echoing off the ancient walls, the experience is quite moving.  Conducted in both English and Maori (the official languages) I was able to at least understand the sermon, while the majority of the other proceedings (an infant baptism, weekly announcements, and singing) were done in Maori only.  I did find it a bit sad how many visitors came and went during the service - it just seemed disrespectful.  Overall, it was a nice way to spend a Sunday morning. I was reminded of the Apostle Paul as the pastor instructed those of us visiting to “take our greetings back to your home countries, as brothers and sisters in Christ.”


For the last couple days I’ve been reading my way through a wonderful coffee table book (which you might have noticed I’ve quoted quite a bit in my blog posts), so upon returning from church I sat on the porch outside my room and continued reading for about an hour.  My coffee and oatmeal for breakfast had become a memory and I decided I would make my way across (technically ‘around’ as no roads cross the island) the island to the Muri district and finally (hopefully) get to try the famous fish sandwiches at The Mooring Fish Cafe.

 Most things in Rarotonga are closed on Sunday, remnants of the “blue laws” originally put in place by the missionaries, so I was hoping that my hour-long bike ride would not be in vain.  In addition to the Sunday caveat, many businesses close between 3-6pm so I needed to make sure I arrived before 3pm.  Blessedly they were open when I arrived and I got to order their FOB sandwich (crumbed mahi with lime mayo).  It was huge, but thankfully I was quite hungry by this point and had no trouble consuming it entirely.

With fuel in my belly I decided I should carry on and continue my loop.  Before arriving in Rarotonga I had not been on a bicycle in nearly a year and the seat on this bike was definitely not adjusted to the correct height.  So, although “just” 32km around the island, I was definitely feeling it by the time I arrived back ‘home’.  The bright side is that I can now say that I have successfully circumnavigated Rarotonga, so there’s pride in the pain I suppose.  Although, I do have to spend a lot of time sitting in the next couple days, so hopefully I don’t regret my trek.

With my last full day in the Cook Islands coming to a close, I most certainly was going to view my last sunset on the beach.  A brisk walk on the beach to work out the kinks from my bike ride and I was soon settled on a towel to enjoy the view.  I enjoy a good sunrise as well, but there’s something about a sunset.  Perhaps because a sunset seems to linger.  Even after it has sunk below the horizon you can still gaze out at the colors streaking the sky or burnishing the clouds.  While it wasn’t the most spectacular sunset I’ve ever seen, it was serene: only the sound of the waves and the faint rustle of palm fronds overhead.  Back in the flat I thumbed through the DVD collection and settled on something suitably diverting.  With only one TV channel on the island (it never seems to come in clearly anyway) and internet being rather expensive, DVD’s are still going strong here.  And that, my friends, was my last night on the island.  Tantalizing, I know...

No comments:

Post a Comment