Friday, May 27, 2022

Croatian Roadtrip Beginnings

 Croatians drive on the right side of the road (literally, and figuratively, if you're American), and they have impeccable roads, so no real concerns with the remainder of our trip requiring me to drive from top to bottom of the country.  We picked up our rental car - a small Opel SUV/crossover - and headed for the national park.  


A missed direction trying to leave Zagreb was our only navigational issue, and with little traffic and little construction it was a nice drive to Hotel Jezero.  Since our hotel is one of only a handful inside the park, we had few options for food - but with a car we could easily cruise around to find what few, small restaurants were nearby.  After lunch we returned to the hotel, I bought my park entrance ticket and headed out for a quick hike (my aunt decided to stay and read a book since she was a bit stiff from all the walking the day before).  Photos do not do this park justice, it's a place you have to see for yourself.  I took the trail that led to Veliki Slap ("slap" means waterfall, so I'm assuming Veliki means "big" since this was the "Big Waterfall"), the tallest waterfall in Croatia.  It was a very warm afternoon, but the path was partly shaded in most places and the water in the lakes past which I was hiking was an incredibly shade of blue.






After my return and a shower, we took a short walk near the hotel and then had some coffee (decaf, of course) and dessert on the terrace to round out our day.


No comments:

Post a Comment